Our annual landlord survey is now open. The results will feed into this year’s annual complaints review which provides an analysis of the sector’s performance. Link to survey.


This is the information hub for residents of social housing landlords.

Here you can learn about the complaints process, how to make a complaint, as well as read other residents’ experiences which may be similar to what you’re experiencing.

What we do

The Housing Ombudsman Service is set up by law to look at complaints about housing organisations that are registered with us, including housing associations and local authorities.

We resolve disputes involving the tenants and leaseholders of social landlords and our voluntary members (private landlords and letting agents who are committed to good service for their tenants).

We consider complaints using our dispute resolution principles, and encourage landlords and residents to use these principles so they can resolve complaints together at the earliest possible opportunity. As a service we improve by learning from outcomes, and we help individuals and organisations to do the same by learning from best practice across the housing sector.

Understand the process


Tell your landlord about the problem

The first step is to report the problem to your landlord. If you are having difficulty reporting the issue or are dissatisfied with the service you received in response, we can help you and your landlord resolve the issue. If you think your complaint is not being dealt with correctly, for example if you receive delayed or no response, we can help ensure your complaint is responded to by your landlord.

Find out how


Complain to a designated person

If you are unable to resolve your complaint through your landlord’s complaints procedure you can contact a designated person who can also help find a solution. The designated person can be an MP, a local councillor or a Tenant Panel. If you have decided not to contact a designated person you can come directly to the Ombudsman eight weeks after your landlord has given you its final response to your complaint. Please note this part of our process will be changing with effect from 1 October 2022. Read more.

Who is my designated person?


Escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman

We will deal with each complaint to find the best outcome for your individual circumstances. Depending on the circumstances, once we receive your complaint we may either refer the case to a different organisation, work with you and your landlord to resolve the dispute or carry out an investigation.

Make a complaint

Frequently Asked Questions

Start chatting