Links to helpful organisations

Find details of advice agencies and charities, legal advice and other helpful organisations

Advice agencies and charities

Advice UK

Charity supporting community organisations that give free advice to members of the public. You can search by postcode to find advice organisations in your area.

Age UK

Provides services and support at a national and local level for people over 60 in the UK.

0800 055 6112

Citizens Advice

Free advice in all matters, find a local Citizens Advice online.

03444 111 444 (Adviceline)

03454 04 05 06 (Consumer advice)

Independent Age

Charity for people over state retirement age. Offers advice and befriending.

0800 319 6789 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm)

Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE)

Free legal advice to leaseholders and landlords. Book a telephone appointment online.


Works in partnership with people with a learning disability.

0808 808 111


Mental health charity for people in England and Wales

0300 123 3393

Text 86463


Provides information, advocacy and advice services for individuals struggling with challenges in their life.

0300 456 2370


Charity for women and children against domestic abuse.

0808 2000 247 (freephone 24 hour helpline)


Charity providing practical and emotional support to blind and partially sighted people.

0303 123 9999

The Royal British Legion

Provides practical care, advice and support to members of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.

0808 802 8080


Charity offering a safe place to talk about whatever’s getting to you.

116 123 (freephone)


Provides support, information and advice to disabled people and their families.

0808 800 3333


Helps people struggling with bad housing or homelessness with advice, support and legal services.

0808 800 4444 (free from UK landlines and main mobile networks)

0808 1644 660 (emergency helpline)

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA)

Charity that supports ex service personnel.

0845 130 0975

Support Line

Confidential emotional support in the UK for men, women, children and young adults.

01708 765200

Victim Support

National charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected across England and Wales.

0808 1689 111

Write to Them

Find details and write to your local councillor, MP, MEP for free.

Legal Advice

Bar Pro Bono Unit

A charity which helps to find pro bono (free) legal assistance from volunteer barristers.

BPP Legal Advice

Clinic facilitates the provision of one-off legal advice by students under the supervision of qualified staff in London, Leeds and Manchester.

Civil Legal Advice

Get free and confidential legal advice in England and Wales if you’re eligible for legal aid.

0345 345 4 345

Equality Advisory Support Service

New support service to replace the EHRC helpline. Statutory remit to promote, monitor and protect human rights and equality.

0808 800 0082 (freephone)

Find Legal Advice

Search for a legal adviser or family mediator with a legal aid contract in England and Wales.

First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)

The Property Chamber deals with a wide range of applications, appeals and references relating to disputes over property and land.
It brings together Rent Assessment Committees, Leasehold Valuation Tribunals, Residential Property Tribunals, Rent Tribunals


Provides free initial legal advice at a clinic for those who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay for a lawyer.

Law Centres Network

Complete list of law centres. Law Centres offer legal advice, casework and representation to individuals and groups.

Mary Ward Legal Centre

Free advice to people who live and work in London. Specialist legal advice services in debt, housing and welfare benefits for those on low incomes. Also runs free advice clinics with volunteer lawyers on other matters including small claims, tax, consumer and contract law.

020 7831 7079

Start chatting