Landlords can now complete the Complaint Handling Code Annual Submissions form. More information is available online.

Freedom of Information

Freedom of Information Act 2000

From 1 May 2018 the Housing Ombudsman was listed as a public authority in the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The FOIA gives you the right of access to all types of ‘recorded’ information we hold. The Act obliges us to disclose information, but subject to a range of exemptions.

One of the aims of the FOIA is to make public authorities, including the Housing Ombudsman, proactive about the information we will make public. See the Helpful link for our Publication Scheme.

In line with the FOIA provisions, the Ombudsman may charge a fee for information requested which is not already in the public domain but we will not always do so. If we do make a charge the level will depend upon the cost and burden involved in dealing with the request. Our minimum fee to include photocopying and postage is £10. We may also refuse a request if the information is sensitive or the costs are too high (usually above £450). We will let you know how much it is before we deal with your request.

Certain information will not be included if the Ombudsman considers it to fall under one of the exemptions specified by the terms of the FOIA which apply to all the listed bodies. An example of this would be casework information connected with a particular complaint or dispute which the Ombudsman must handle within the rules of confidentiality and data protection, and use only for the purposes for which it was gathered. See how we look after your data.

We will respond to a request for information as soon as possible and at the latest within 20 working days. Please note if we decide to charge a fee we will not start work on your request until the payment has been received and cleared.

Read and download the Freedom of Information Policy (PDF).

To request information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 please do so: 

  • in writing/email
  • include your name and address
  • a description of the information or documents you would like to see
  • how you would like the information sent to you (for example, on paper or via email)

Send your request to:

Housing Ombudsman Service
PO Box 1484
Unit D

Or email

If you are dissatisfied with our decision on your request

If you are dissatisfied with our decision on your request for information you can first discuss your concerns with the person who dealt with your request.

If this informal discussion does not resolve the matter you can ask for a senior member of staff to review your request. If so, please contact us in writing or send an email to:

Housing Ombudsman Service
PO Box 1484
Unit D

If you remain dissatisfied you have the right to apply to the Information Commissioner for a decision as to whether we have dealt with your request for information in accordance with our legal responsibilities.

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Walter Lane