Insight report 16: July to September 2023
7 December 2023
We have released our Insight report for the second quarter of this year which sets out key learning and guidance on service charges.
The report contains information about the role of the Housing Ombudsman in these disputes, the role of the First Tier Tribunal and courts, as well as key learning from the Ombudsman’s casework.
Alongside this report, we have refreshed our guidance so that landlords can use this to provide better services, and for residents to use it to know what they can bring to the Ombudsman and how the Ombudsman can help.
Complaint Handling Failure Order report - July to September
21 November 2023
The Housing Ombudsman has published its latest Complaint Handling Failure Order (CHFO) report. Giving 52 CHFOs between July and September – the most since reports began being published in 2021.
These orders help landlords deliver the Complaint Handling Code and resolution of complaints. Helping them identify any problems that could prevent residents experiencing a positive complaints process.
Special report into Islington Council
24 October 2023
The Housing Ombudsman has released its special investigation report into Islington Council, finding that underlying issues such as a ‘disjointed’ approach to complaints and a ‘lack of clear ownership’ are leading to problems drifting and persisting.
Complaint Handling Failure Order report - April to June 2023
19 September 2023
We have released the previous quarter’s data on complaint handling for our Complaint Handling Failure Order report, finding the highest number of non-compliant landlords since the reports were first put together. From April to June 2023, we issued 43 Complaint Handling Failure Orders (CHFOs) with 18 of those not being complied with.
Insight report 15: April to June 2023
12 September 2023
We have released our Insight report for the first quarter of this year, showcasing where lessons can be learned for landlords and residents in a variety of instances. Among the themes looked at this month are pest infestation, tenancy warning letters and gas safety.
The report contains insights from our Dispute Support team, who are often the first response to many complaints. They look at the rising number of urgent issues coming to the Ombudsman and how landlords can improve around service charges.
Special report into L&Q
27 July 2023
The Ombudsman has released its special report into L&Q, finding that the landlord failed to address core issues and cultural failures which therefore led to a prolonged period of decline in services.
Whilst the landlord has since developed an action plan in response to the report, the Ombudsman remains cautious, with a similar flurry of new policies having little to no impact on resident’s lived experienced and service delivery.
In the report, the Ombudsman made 103 determinations involving L&Q in the months from January to June 2023, spanning 30 local authority areas.
Overall, the Ombudsman found a severe maladministration rate of 13%, more than double the national average of 6%, for disrepair, poor repair services, mishandling of charges for leaseholders and failures supporting residents experiencing anti-social behaviour.
Spotlight on... reports
Our Spotlight reports concentrate on an area of service provision that we see high amount of failure in through our casework. They examine the issues within this theme and set out recommendations.
- Spotlight on... Knowledge and Information Management - May 2023
- One year on follow up report: Spotlight on damp and mould – it’s not lifestyle - February 2023
- Spotlight on... noise complaints - October 2022
- Spotlight on... landlords’ engagement with private freeholders and managing agents - March 2022
- Spotlight on... damp and mould: It's not lifestyle - October 2021
- Spotlight on... Dealing with cladding complaints: Three key lessons for social landlords - May 2021
- Spotlight on... complaints about heating, hot water and energy in social housing - February 2021
- Spotlight on... leasehold, shared ownership and new builds: complexity and complaint handling - September 2020
- Spotlight on... repairs - March 2019
To find out more about our Spotlight reports, please see below.
Our Insight reports provide insight into our complaints data, a selection of valuable case studies and key learning points and recommendations for the sector.
- Issue 16, July to September 2023 pdf
- Issue 15, April to June 2023 pdf
- Issue 14, January to March 2023 pdf
- Issue 13, October to December 2022 pdf
- Issue 12, July to September 2022 pdf
- Issue 11, April to June 2022 pdf
- Issue 10, January to March 2022 pdf
- Issue 9, October to December 2021 pdf
- Issue 8, July to September 2021 pdf
- Issue 7, April to June 2021 pdf
- Issue 6, January to March 2021 pdf
- Issue 5, October to December 2020 pdf
- Issue 4, July to September 2020 pdf
- Issue 3, April to June 2020 pdf
- Issue 2, October 2019 to March 2020 pdf
- Issue 1, April to September 2019 pdf
To find out more about our Insight reports, please see the video below.
Special investigation reports
Our special reports follow an investigation carried out under paragraph 49 of the Housing Ombudsman Scheme, which allows the Ombudsman to conduct further investigations beyond an individual complaint to establish whether any presenting evidence is indicative of a systemic failing. Our special reports are then referred to the Regulator for Social Housing for their consideration.
Learn more about our special investigation reports below.
Complaint Handling Failure Order reports
We publish quarterly reports on the complaint handling failure orders we have issued.