Tenant makes a formal complaint to the landlord

You can only make a formal complaint if you have reported the original problem and are dissatisfied with the service you received in response. So make sure that you have told the landlord about the original problem. If you think that you might later want to ask us to help in getting your complaint resolved you will also need to check that your landlord is a member of our Scheme. This is because we can only consider complaints about member landlords. Familiarise yourself with your landlord’s complaints process. You may also find it helpful to use our free online training on resolving disputes.

Completed your landlord's procedure? Go to Tenant contacts a designated person.