Tenant contacts a designated person

As part of the Localism Act 2011 designated persons were introduced by the Government to improve the chances of complaints about housing being resolved locally and to involve local politicians and local people in resolving local housing issues. When a landlord’s internal complaints procedure is finished tenants of housing associations, local authorities and ALMO’s can ask for their complaint to be considered by a designated person. Tenants and designated persons may find it helpful to use our free online training on resolving disputes.

Designated person stage complete? Go to Getting help from the Housing Ombudsman