Tenants' behaviour

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is a term which covers a broad range of issues from everyday incidents and situations like noise nuisance, neighbours’ dogs or rubbish dumping to violence or harassment. The definition of ASB is ‘Any activity that causes alarm, distress or harassment to the individual or the community’

ASB includes the following examples:

  • dumping rubbish, dog fouling, uncontrolled pets, car repairs, dangerous parking and abandoned cars.
  • noise nuisance at high levels or unreasonable hours
  • environmental health issues
  • vandalism, graffiti and damage to property
  • drug misuse, alcohol-related nuisance and prostitution
  • racial and other kinds of harassment motivated by someone’s age, disability, faith or sexual orientation     
  • harassment including verbal and physical abuse and threats

Housing Association landlords must have policies and procedures in place to help them deal with reports of anti-social behaviour.  If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour you should contact your landlord and ask it how to report the issue and find out what actions your landlord can take.  Your landlord may also ask you to gather evidence of anti-social behaviour you are experiencing, for example it might ask you to complete an ‘incident diary’ where you log incidents of the nuisance behaviour you are experiencing.  This will help them to decide what action they may need to take in order to resolve the issue.

Social landlords have a range of methods for dealing with anti-social behaviour.  In cases of low level anti-social behaviour such as noise nuisance, littering, parking disagreements, pets fouling in communal areas etc, the landlord may:

  • offer mediation between relevant parties
  • draw up ‘good neighbour agreements’ between parties
  • formulate an action plan with relevant parties to address the nuisance behaviour
  • issue a warning to the alleged perpetrator

In cases where anti-social behaviour is more serious a social landlord may:

  • ask the police or the local authority to take action
  • go to court to get the person behaving in an anti-social way evicted, if they are a tenant or leaseholder
  • apply to court for an anti-social behaviour order or other injunction

Landlords will generally only seek to have someone evicted for anti-social behaviour if the behaviour is serious and persistent and all other interventions have failed and if they have substantial evidence they can rely on in court.

If you are experiencing threats of violence or any other possible criminal activity you should report this to the police.

For a print friendly version of this factsheet please click here.