Working with the Regulator

The Regulator for Social Housing and the Housing Ombudsman have different functions but we have a Memorandum of Understanding which sets out how we work together.

Regulator for Social Housing

The Regulator for Social Housing sets both ‘consumer’ and ‘economic’ regulatory standards, but in line with its statutory framework it focuses on economic regulation of private registered providers of social housing (including housing associations).

The Regulator is legally obliged to regulate in a way that minimises interference and regulates consumer standards reactively, focusing on potential systemic failure. It does not resolve individual complaints and cannot mediate in disputes between landlords and tenants. Further information on the regulatory framework and the standards can be found here, on the regulator’s website.

Housing Ombudsman Service

We seek to resolve complaints from individuals about registered providers of social housing and some managing agents and private landlords who are voluntary members. We deal with each complaint to find the best outcome for the individual circumstances.

Our service aims to encourage the resolution of complaints early wherever possible so we provide advice and support to help the parties resolve matters between themselves. Where a dispute has not been resolved within the landlord’s complaints procedure, we will work with the landlord and complainant to reach agreement. If not resolved, we may formally investigate the complaint and can make orders and award compensation if there is evidence of maladministration.

For more information on our role, see our What we do leaflet.

Contact information

While we have different functions, we have arrangements in place to cooperate and communicate with each other within our legal frameworks.  We will signpost people to each other where appropriate. If you are unsure which organisation is the most relevant to deal with your issue, you can contact both organisations at the same time.

Contact the Housing Ombudsman Service by:

Contact the Regulator of Social Housing by: